MailChannels failing SPF

A new source popped up recently for a customers domain, it’s MailChannels. The MailFrom is coming from wpengine.com which is a Word Press Hosted site and they in turn use MailChannels for sending out emails from a contact form on their Word Press site. I spoke with my customer and this is a valid Source. So I did some looking and Mail Channels has info on how to add the SFP record which I did last weekend but it’s still not showing SPF being in alignment. Mail Channels doesn’t really have any info on DKIM, they say it’s not necessary for them, they say we can setup SMTP Auth on the wpengine.com site.

I’m using v=spf1 include:servers.mcsv.net include:_spf.google.com include:relay.mailchannels.net ~all so seems like my SFP record is setup right.

Any thoughts on how to get the SPF record showing correctly?

Separate question, do you think I should setup SMTP Auth as well? This is just a WordPress site with a simple contact form for my customer, they get 4-7 emails a week through this form.

Thanks in advance for any info and insights you can share.
RG

1 Like

Hi Ryan,

When a source is not aligned, meaning the domain of the return-path is not the same as the From header, simply adding content to the from header domain will not automatically change the way to source sends emails.

3rd party providers commonly will provide what to add to an SPF record, but without confirming if they support alignment to begin with. Not all providers do, and there is a lot of bad advice on the internet regarding SPF.

I recommend you speak to the hosting provider and confirm if they support a custom return-path and DKIM. Be clear with you requirements, as they simply may tell you to add the same to SPF again. It is important that you communicate the need for alignment.

I hope this helps!

1 Like

Same exact issue here with WP/mailchannels, were you able to resolve it?
Thanks in advance!

You have replied to a post from a year ago. If following the last advice of contacting MailChannels doesn’t work for you, you will probably want to start your own new topic and provide relevant details.

I did, for my customer I ended up using the PostSMTP plugin with WordPress for sending secure emails instead of letting MailChannels handle it.

1 Like

Thank you, I have a feeling that’s going to be our path forward.

1 Like

Of course it was a longshot but I have exactly the same issue and I don’t have an account directly with mailchannels so getting support would be more difficult. Their instructions are still the same as OP mentions. Fortunately, the OP saw my reply and answered which is what I was hoping for. Thank goodness some people still use forums the way they used to be!

1 Like

Of course, happy to help.

It worked so much better using PostSMTP. Takes a bit of configuration as in our case it used the Google API but once we got it setup it’s been working great.

1 Like